Thursday, April 23, 2009

weekly reading

This week we had to read America the Beautiful: What We’re fighting for by Dinesh D’Souza. I have to say that my feelings were quite mixed on this article and that was a surprise to me.
I very much enjoyed the way Dinesh compared our American culture to that of Islam. Islamics having such a harsh culture with violence and rudimentary oppression of almost everyone in the name of their god is difficult to accept. Whereas the American culture of freedom and choice for all may be great, but doesn’t it leave us like the hole in the donut? I have to say in some respects I like the idea of such devotion and structure, but the penalties and oppressive nature are obviously impossible to accept.
Dinesh goes on to talk about the definitions of freedom and how it is the liberty to do good or evil, but not all choices can be so easily categorized into one of those two options. Is getting food good or evil? Is getting caffeinated products good or bad? It gets sticky when I step away from the text and attempt to put it in perspective for myself.
I do not see American culture and Islamic culture mixing anytime soon. In my opinion, once the oil is gone, there will be many more converts to our softer and nicer mandate for society.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I agree with your statement that as soon as the world's dependence on oil is gone, more people will convert to our "softer and nicer" society. Trying to blend these two completely opposite cultures before then is impossible in my view.

    ReplyDelete