Monday, January 19, 2009

ITS not a problem anymore!

My grammar article this week is on the dreaded apostrophe. It is one of the few grammar items that have a name as difficult to spell as the word is to use. Generally, I just try and avoid both. Typically the only time I really use the A-word is when the spell check on my document writer inserts it for me, at which time I look blankly at the computer and mutter “… well, if you say so” before moving on.
The rule for this week was a bit easier than last week, due to the fact that I already had a handy online resource to look for it. I just love using www.adminsecret.com for all of its simplicity of use and down to earth language in explaining a particular topic. The specific rule that I needed help with was about possessive pronouns and the rule I found was this: -It’s vs. Its: “It’s” is short for “it is” or “it has” (“it’s raining”), whereas “its” is a possessive pronoun, as in “its coat.” This rule is relatively simple to understand, to the point and easy to remember.
As before, you can find a link to the specific topic HERE. I will of course endeavor to use some different sources in the future, as there are many many sources on the Internet to find information. For now though, like a boy in love, there is nothing else on my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment